14 July 2007

Losses in the menagerie...

This post over a Squeeky Wheel got me to thinking about some of the losses we've endured over the years...

See, I grew up in a menagerie. When I left home, we had 12 cats, 2 dogs, three ferrets, and 2 morning doves. When Janet and I started a life together, it was three cats, 2 of the aforementioned ferrets, and the landlady's pets (ball python, rosey boa, and a great dane). So I've burried a few animals over the years. The last couple have been a bit hard...

Our first personal losses were the ferrets. Little buggers only live so long (long enough to wrap your heart around their paw). Since marriage, I've burried 6 of the buggers (4, plus the current rafter panther, were adopted from a friend). Cats, I've dug graves for 2: Spoon's little Detroit (a tuxedo with white feet and tail tip: four on the floor and a tail light) and a lil' girl named Sucki (Sooki, short for Succubus: she lured you in with her charmes, then would try and eat you). There's also been an adopted bearded dragon (he was just old), and MY common boa (who's the reason I will NEVER cheap-out on an animal again. Transfered him to a new tank, and tried reusing the tank heater from his old one. STUPID!)...

Over the years, I've discovered that I HATE digging graves. There are some other little bits I hate about the whole process though:
- having a pet die at the vets, and having said vet IMMEDIATELY hand you the bill
- the feeling (or sometimes, certain knowledge) that I could've prevented this
- the actions of the other animals, trying to find the missing member of the family

We're at 5 cats and a ferret now. No more ratfter panthers after this one goes (although he's been INCREDIBLY long-lived). And I want to keep the cats to 2 from now on. And the next time I buy a pet OTHER than those, will be a frelling cappuchin: I want a pet that will at LEAST come close to living as long as I do (besides, I could take a 'puch to Faire with me)...

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I don't know if I'd want a pet that would live as long or longer than I...they'd mourn you once you left, too. So it's kind of a draw.

While the animals are here, they give a lot of joy, though, and if you take care of them well, they can get as much out of living with you as you get out of having them. I suppose it's all worth it in the end, but damned if it doesn't hurt when they go.