06 June 2007

From yesterday

In going through my daily reads yesterday, I came across something that sparked me a bit: a post concerning motorcycle safety. And I thought to myself "self, that would make a really good topic!"...

First off, the helmet law.
Now, I'll admit: I do not usually wear a helmet. I know that it almost guarantees death should the 'Potomus dump me on the I, but it's my choice to make. I've heard all the arguments (visibility, hearing, etc), but what it boils down to is a person's right to decide what risks they're willing to take, and how they wish to manage those risks. Honestly, I'm an idiot for not wearing the helmet: I KNOW that it could mean the difference between functionality and veggiehood in a serious accident. But I choose to go with the convenience of just hopping on my scoot and riding along (and I truly think that any adult should have the same choice).

Secondly, rider/driver attitudes.
The post that sparked me on this mentioned some younger guy on a crotch rocket, who said "I'm a very conservative rider, I'll never lay it down!", or words to that effect. Wow... I'd like to know what color the sky is in his world! When you're on two wheels, the ONLY way to deal with the cages surrounding you is to assume they (and whoever built the slab you're on) actively desire your demise. And the more gruesome said demise, the better.

I've ridden out a skid, traveling sideways down the road, because a dump truck decided to turn in front of me. I've watched friends do all manner of acrobatics to avoid Suzie Soccarmom when she pulls out in her new grocery getter- then listened to her wail about how that bike "almost hit her new car!!!". I've had one asshat (this was my first week as a rider) decide that my passing him (he was doing 40 in a 55) was an intolerable insult, and ride roughly 6 inches off my rear tire at 60+. And on and on...

If you ride, remember: you look EXACTLY like the guy the cager next to you caught his wife in bed with last night. His car will take out your Uberhog with barely a ding, and nobody will see a thing...

Last off: for the cagers.
PLEASE, remember that with better weather, the scoots will be out. Try to remember that, and maybe drive just a bit more carefully. And, if you see that dirty bro, broken down beside the road, ask if you can help: he'll remember...

No comments: