29 May 2007

Via Angela's blog:

Seems some ballplayers in San Jose, CA decided to have some fun of a carnal nature with a young lady at a birthday party. I'm not sure of all the details (other than several guys were involved, and the lady is 17). I'm willing to bet, however, that there's a little more truth to her story than what was brought against the Duke la crosse team...

I'm not gonna go over all the standard stuff that gets talked about in cases like these: the outrage, finger-pointing, devastation (to the girl if she's telling the truth, to the guys if she's not). No, I'm going to suggest something:

Those of you with daughters, PLEASE teach them to stand up for themselves. Teach them how to avoid bad situations, where stuff like this can happen. Get them instructed in the many ways of inflicting extreme pain on a guy that doesn't understand "no", and instill in them the mindset to USE that training.

I've seen too many cases of rape: no matter what, the victim has to live with the scars for years. And we're raising children NOT to fight back, NOT to struggle, NOT to say "this is my body. And the only way you're putting THAT in me is if I rip it off first!". Instead, we want our daughters to ask the perp to please wear a condom: to comply with their wishes, in hopes of not getting hurt as badly...

Hustler magazine, many years ago, spoofed some of the suggestions made to potential rape victims: "Just Say Yes". But we seem to be on a road to exactly that.

Says something about the direction we're going. And I don't think I like what it says at all...

No comments: