31 May 2007

I'll give the Billboard meme a try

Wasn't tagged (guess none of the cool bloggers like me enough for that). But I figured, what the hell...

1. Go to the Billboard #1 Hits listings
2. Pick the year you turned 18
3. Get yourself nostalgic over the songs of the year
4. Pick 5 songs and write something about how these songs affected you
5. Pass it on to 5 more friends

Gotta warn you: '90 was NOT a good year for music...

1: Black Velvet - Alannah Myles

This is the song I remember cruising around the nearby "big city" to. No "this was our song" stuff: just one of the few cool tunes that came out the year I turned 18...

2: Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor

This came out, and a good friend of mine became a total Sinead groupie. I heard it, shrugged, and thought "what... she can't spell english words?"

3: Vogue - Madonna

Heh... one of the few songs I've ever quoted. The line "Let your body move to the music" is THE best explanation of how to dance I have ever heard ('course, I don't dance anymore)...

4: Blaze of Glory Jon - Bon Jovi

I remember learning the song (had a kinda band going in high school). It was Bon Jovi, which to us meant fluff...

5
: Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice

Oddly enough, I remember this because of the "controversy". A complete rip-off of Queen, that made it to #1. Sad, in the same way Milli Vanilli was sad...

Y'all have to remember, what I listened to (for the most part) was metal, which was NOT played on the air here in WI: Metallica (pre Black Album), Ozzy, Iron Maiden. I had the tape player going FAR more often than the radio...

No comments: