16 September 2008

The "sheepdogs" thing

Ok... I think most of y'all have heard this one. Goes like this:

"Most people are sheep: unable to defend themselves from the wolves. But some people are sheepdogs: armed just like the wolves, but there to protect the sheep. Unfortunately, the sheep can't tell the difference between the two: they see predator teeth, and equate the sheepdogs with the wolves, treating them with the same fear. But the only reason they're safe is the sheepdogs are willing to defend them".

There are a bunch of variations on this, most being passed on as "my father told me..." type stories. And they get brought up ANY time someone questions the intelligence of concealed carry for law-abiding citizens.

Now, so y'all understand: I'm a lobbyist for CCW here in Wisconsin. I support it enough that I have spent a fair amount of time busting my ass to try and bring us in line with the rest of the country. And I'M getting tired of the "sheepdog" thing.

Look... it may seem selfish, but my only reason for wanting to be able to legally carry a self-defense tool is to protect me and mine. Would I intervene if I saw someone being attacked? Most likely. But that is NOT why I would carry.

A CCW permit is not a "super hero license". All it is, really, is a way for the government to collect money on your decision to protect yourself to the best of your ability. The "sheepdog" folks (with the exception of those in law enforcement), come across as looking for trouble: something those of us fighting for the right to carry do NOT need.

Ok... I'm done ranting.

1 comment:

Asphyxiated Emancipation said...

I'm teaching self defense these days, and I use a variation on the sheep dog anatomy. I tell people there are four types of people: Wolves, sheep, sheepdogs and Porcupines. The wolves exist to prey on the sheep, the sheepdogs are paid to watch over the sheep, but they can't be everywhere at once, and the porcupines just want to be left alone. Mess with one, and even the biggest, baddest wolf is gonna walk away with a few quills in his snout.

I'm a porcupine.