11 October 2007

Revenge

Ok... Here's the set-up. Mom had been pestering me (pretty much from the time Spoon and I started dating): "When are you gonna marry the girl?". I was starting to get tired of the nagging, and I still owed her for the Birthday Incident (never bothered trying to get back at dad: that's pretty much impossible). So a plan was hatched...

The appointment was made for Friday, 29 Jan. Went through all kinds of tribulations to get everything (and everybody) necessary there. Folks were sworn to secrecy: mom knew nothing...

Mom and dad came to town for lunch with my mom-in-law (they always got along well). Afterwards,dad came up with some lame excuse to go downtown, and MIL went along with. They see me, Spoon, my brother Turk, and Spoon's friend Jenny crossing the street to the courthouse in our finery. Mom notices Turk, puts a couple things together, and immediately thinks I'm in major trouble (since he's an attorney in Chicago, I guess I can understand)...

We end up wandering around the courthouse, trying to find the right room (they kept switching on us), gathering more folks as we went. Despite hearing me repeatedly say "We're here for the 1:30 wedding", she didn't clue in. Finally, dad answered her repeated "What's going on?" with "your son is getting married". She got a kinda perplexed look on her face...

"What son?"

Shortly before the ceremony, she was heard to loudly proclaim to the packed courtroom we used "I'm killing everyone here, and I'm starting with my son!".

My pointing, smiling, and saying "GOTCHA!" probably didn't help.

But hey: she got the daughter she wanted, she was present for the wedding. What more did she want?

Slightly Unrelated Note:

When friends at your wedding smile, start humming the "Mission Impossible" theme, and leave, avoid the reception. Trust me on this...

No comments: