25 September 2010

Via Lawdog

We get this gem. I think I'll play along...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Do you believe that criminals and domestic abusers should be able to buy guns without background checks?

Have you stopped beating your wife yet? That's basically what you're asking.

IF someone has committed such a terrible crime that they can't be trusted to exercise their rights, why on Earth are they wandering around in public?

2. What is your proposal for keeping guns away from criminals, domestic abusers, terrorists and dangerously mentally ill people?

I believe Law Dog covered this one quite well: lock 'em the Hell up.

3. Do you believe that a background check infringes on your constitutional right to "keep and bear arms"?

Hell yes.

4. Do you believe that I and people with whom I work intend to ban your guns?

As soon as you feel you can.

Actually, I seem to recall one Senator Feinstein stating point blank "If I could've gotten the votes..."

5. If yes to #4, how do you think that could happen ( I mean the physical action)?

Again, Law Dog covers this rather well. Look at DC, New York, and Chicago. 'Nuff said.

6. What do you think are the "second amendment remedies" that the tea party GOP candidate for Senate in Nevada( Sharron Angle) has proposed?

No idea: don't live in Nevada

7. Do you believe in the notion that if you don't like what someone is doing or saying, second amendment remedies should be applied?

Say what? "Second Amendment remedies"?

If someone is saying or doing something that I don't like (but that otherwise causes me no actual harm), then they are perfectly within their rights. If they are causing me harm, there are plenty of remedies for this. "Second Amendment remedies" should only be used to preserve against death or imminent bodily harm.

Projecting much?

8. Do you believe it is O.K. to call people with whom you disagree liars and demeaning names?

When the shoe fits. I've also used such terms with people who's beliefs I agree with, when said terms were warranted.

9. If yes to #8, would you do it in a public place to the person's face?

See #8: would, and have.

10. Do you believe that any gun law will take away your constitutional rights?

Replace "any" with "all", and you're right on the money.

11. Do you believe in current gun laws? Do you think they are being enforced? If not, explain.

I believe they exist. I believe their existence is a travesty of Constitutional law.

Yes, they're enforced. Usually against those who they shouldn't be, while those who SHOULD get hammered are let slide.

12. Do you believe that all law-abiding citizens are careful with their guns and would never shoot anybody?

Don't recall anybody who can completely avoid mistakes. It's called "being human".

I believe most are as careful as possible.

13. Do you believe that people who commit suicide with a gun should be included in the gun statistics?

Don't believe there should even BE "gun statistics", anymore than there should be "knife statistics" or "Nerf statistics"...

14. Do you believe that accidental gun deaths should "count" in the total numbers?

See 13

15. Do you believe that sometimes guns, in careless use or an accident, can shoot a bullet without the owner or holder of the gun pulling the trigger?

Machines are no more perfect than the humans who create them. However, that imperfection is just part of life.

16. Do you believe that 30,000 gun deaths a year is too many?

That many guns die every year? Wow... news to me!

Compare the number of people who die via the mechanism of a firearm to almost any other mechanism, and get back to me on this one...

17. How will you help to prevent more shootings in this country?

It's not my job to prevent more shootings". Nor yours, nor any other citizen's.

Shootings are going to happen. Maybe, if we actually locked violent criminals up, there would be fewer criminals out shooting folks?

18. Do you believe the articles that I have posted about actual shootings or do you think I am making them up or that human interest stories about events that have happened should not count when I blog about gun injuries and deaths?

Since I don't really read your blog, I couldn't say for sure. But, as Law dog said: "the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'"

19. There has been some discussion of the role of the ATF here. Do you believe the ATF wants your guns and wants to harass you personally? If so, provide examples ( some have written a few that need to be further examined).

I believe (from anecdotal evidence) that some ATF agents enjoy the power trip the current crop of "gun laws" allows them...

20. Will you continue a reasonable discussion towards an end that might lead somewhere or is this an exercise in futility?

If by "reasonable" you mean honest give-and-take*, we can talk. If you mean "reasonable" as we keep giving, while y'all keep taking, then I'd say we're done.



*- Which means you give something up (ie: opening the machine gun registry) in exchange for something we give up (ie: background checks).

No comments: